Easy Tips to Revive Your Home’s Style
Do you ever walk into a room and feel like it’s tired but you’re not sure how to bring it back to life – and you don’t have the budget to do a complete overhaul? Here are some tips on easy, wallet-friendly ways to freshen your style and make that space shine.
• Select a new accent color and run with it. For example, if your family room is mostly neutral, choose a bold shade such as teal as your punch of color. Add pillows, a new throw, and perhaps some glass accessories in your chosen accent color.
• Look for other places where you can do a simple swap. Is your coffee table feeling old? Cover it with a large tray. Set a colorful pot with fresh flowers or a green plant on the tray, and maybe some coasters or books. Not only will that combination give the table a new appearance, it will allow you to pick up and move those accessories if you need to use the table surface.
• Most people under-size their table lamps. Move your small lamps to a bedroom or study and buy larger lamps. Use the lampshades to pull in your new accent color, such as a cream-colored shade with a touch of blue threaded through it.
• Don’t overlook your fireplace mantel as a design feature. I like to go to a favorite home store such as Crate and Barrel and buy five or six different sizes of taper candles, preferably the most slender style. Then I arrange them with three of one height and two of another on either side of whatever is hanging above the mantel. Mixing the various heights makes for a less “fixed” look, and it frames the art or TV you have over your fireplace without being a distraction. This also works on a sideboard with a TV or anywhere that needs some color but not a busy effect.
• De-clutter and use fewer but larger items. Most people get the scale wrong on this — you don’t want five things on a side table with a small lamp. Instead, use a chunky lamp and perhaps a vase with a plant or flowers. Try it and you’ll see how it actually creates space.
• Don’t be afraid to use what you already have but in different places. Sometimes moving a few pictures from your office to your living room can make a big difference. Or maybe you have some pieces you’ve stored away that could replace a few things that have outworn their welcome. One of the nice aspects of moving around accessories is you can always move them back if you don’t like them!
Need some help freshening up your house? Please contact us for a complimentary consultation.