Getting Ready for Kids
If your kids have summers off from school, you probably feel like you want to cover your home’s interior in plastic until fall. Somehow children seem to find what is sticky, dirty and wet no matter where they go for their summertime fun. But there’s no need to panic – here are a few tips to make your home both kid-proof and kid-friendly as you celebrate sunshine and school vacation with your little ones:
• Several paint manufacturers now make washable paint. In just a few hours you can use it to cover the walls where your kids play most. Even more fun is chalkboard paint, which is actually meant for kids (and parents!) to write on. Ask your favorite paint or home improvement store to point you to these helpful paints.
• Colorful plastic dishware is practical for summer meals, whether inside or out. Pottery Barn’s new Kerala line (potterybarn.com) is made from sturdy melamine in a vibrant Indian motif. It’s shatterproof, dishwasher-safe and affordable at $26 for four large dinner plates.
• Lighten up your kids’ bedrooms by removing and storing heavier bedding and blankets. The Land of Nod (landofnod.com) has duvet covers with matching sheets in cool gingham, dots and stripes patterns that will let you freshen the kids’ rooms without blowing your budget.
• Protect your floors and patio surfaces with indoor/outdoor rugs. Outside, a rug provides a cozy play place. Inside, the easily cleanable rug offers your eat-in kitchen a punch of color.
• Instead of putting covers on your furniture – which can look sloppy – clean and then treat it with a stain guard. Give Chris Grant at Fibercare a call to service your sofas, chairs, dining chairs, carpets or other surfaces: (800) 939-2101.
Have a great summer, and please contact us at Tracy Lynn Studio if we can help with any of your home design needs in San Diego.