The Inside on a Great Outside
Now that we are in the thick of summer in San Diego and spending more time outside, you might be noticing that your outdoor living area could use a little love. The good news is patio décor has really flourished in the last several years as manufacturers create weather-friendly furniture and outside accessories that function like their indoor counterparts. Here are a few ideas for how you can spruce up your outdoor space.
• Materials that were popular inside are coming outside now. Look for zinc or concrete tables, for example, that will change in time as they are exposed to the elements, adding character to their look.
• Chandeliers are everywhere, including outside. If you have a pergola or some type of patio covering, you can take advantage of this useful and beautiful trend.
• String lights have always been popular outdoors but now you can get them in all sorts of shapes and sizes — flowers, stars, lanterns, etc. Industrial bulbs are the most current look and they give off a lot of light too.
• Gas heaters have also evolved. Check out stylish options with clean lines rather than the typical dome-top. Even better: have a gas line installed for a fire pit, which will save you money on propane and requires no effort once it’s in place.
• We talked about the influx of amazing outdoor fabrics in a previous post (click here). Perhaps the easiest and best “fix” for a dated patio is simply using these marvelous patterns and colors to upholster your furniture.
• An outdoor rug also adds color and continuity, and it can be easily vacuumed or hosed off as needed.
• Even if your outdoor area is mostly or all concrete, you can create a lush atmosphere with potted plants. Look for a variety of sizes and textures.
• Be cognizant of your how your interior flows to your exterior. A French country kitchen that opens to a Caribbean-styled patio can be jarring. Create continuity between the two.
• Don’t forget the toys! TVs, pool tables and stereo speakers all come in weather-resistant models.
If you are considering a complete backyard or patio remodel, we highly recommend detailed space planning. Who wants to finish a remodel and realize just one more foot of patio would have allowed for reclining loungers, for example?
Whether you just need to do a little patio improvement or you’re ready to dig up your yard and start over, we are here to help. Please contact us for a complimentary consultation.