What’s New in the Kitchen, Part 2 – Kitchen Addition Ideas
In our last post, “What’s New in the Kitchen, Part 1,” we gave you innovative kitchen cabinet organization tips. So for Part 2 we want to focus on new gadgets for your kitchen. Here are 10 of Tracy Lynn Studio’s designer and client favorites.
• The kitchen work station. Sure, the kitchen is for preparing food — but it’s also the hub of most homes. So why not build in a mini desk area where you can check email, research recipes (or order carry out!), charge your smartphone and pay bills while still keeping an eye on dinner and the kids.
• Island sinks. Since we tend to prepare food at the kitchen island, it makes sense to have a second sink there to rinse produce or wash hands.
• Pull-out island. Don’t have enough space for a large island in your kitchen? You can hide a pull-out extension under your smaller island’s counter to roll out only when you need it.
• Multiple counter types. Depending on how you use your kitchen, including a marble-topped area for rolling pastry or a butcher block section for chopping can be a functional enhancement.
• Beverage storage. Wine coolers and an area with cocktail supplies for adults plus kid-friendly refrigerator drawers make drinks more accessible for the whole family.
• Coffee bars. These beauties allow java lovers to skip Starbucks. Built-in units turn anyone into a barista, whether you like simple black coffee or frothy concoctions. Bonus: Your guests can help themselves!
• Microwave drawers. We’ve posted about these before but we just can’t emphasize enough how handy and less obtrusive these are that traditional stand-alone microwave ovens. Instead of bending or standing on your tiptoes, anyone from a child to an elderly adult can easily reach in the microwave drawer without risking spills or drops.
• Wall ovens. These continue to evolve with the latest standard being a stacked trio of convection oven, regular oven and warming drawer. Again, this avoids bending and makes cooking simpler for all ages.
• Pet pampering. Built-ins for pet food and even pet beds give your furry friends a place in the kitchen too.
• Entertainment centers. Enjoy your favorite show or news program while you’re making cupcakes for PTA or chopping vegetables for that night’s dinner party!