Dreamy Beds for Sweet Sleep
It’s not unusual to walk into a home store and find people drooling over the luscious beds on display. Those beds always look like you could just crawl in and enjoy a comfy, cozy nap.
We like to create that same environment for our clients’ bedrooms. Here are a few tips on how to achieve a luxurious bed set-up.
- Stores use two or three comforters inside one duvet cover to make it look extra plump. While you might not want to take it that far, do be aware that comforters with synthetic fill hold their shape better than down comforters, which tend to cluster in the ends.
- If you are using standard 26-inch decorative pillow shams, use 30-inch pillows. The shams won’t close in the back but no one sees that anyway. Meanwhile, you will have a very full and taut sham from the front.
- Layer your bedding. Start with the sheets, placing the flat sheet with the design side down so it will be right side up when folded back with the coverlet. For best results, iron the top sheet. Add the comforter but fold it halfway to reveal the sheets.
- Pillows, pillows, pillows! A beautiful bed requires lots of pillows. Mix and match colors and brands. This is a great place to save money if budget is an issue —World Market, for example, has pillows with zippered cases that you can switch out when you want a fresh look.
- Don’t forget the bottom of your bed. If you have a metal frame, cover it with a dust ruffle. Or add upholstered side rails to hide the frame. You can also buy a wood bed frame without the headboard if you already have one.
- Avoid those “bed in a bag” sets, which tend to be poor quality and too matchy-matchy. Instead, use your own creativity to blend various fabrics and colors into a bed that gives you that “ahhh” feeling every time you walk into the room.
Need some help with the bed of your dreams? Or perhaps another design or remodel project? Please contact our interior decorators in San Diego for a complimentary consultation.