Home Entryway and Front Door Design Ideas
Is your home beautiful inside and out? It’s tempting to put all of our effort into making the interiors of our homes just the way we want – because, after all, that’s where we spend our time – but your entryway is like the gateway to all of that beauty. If you don’t give it some attention, you diminish the overall effect. Here are some tips for sprucing up your front entryway design.
• If you have a larger area with an overhang, consider adding some artwork. Yes, you can buy artwork that is weather-friendly! Metal, wood and even canvas that has a UV-protected paint can all withstand rain and sun.
• Use an indoor/outdoor rug instead of a doormat.
• Paint your door a contrasting – perhaps unexpected – color. If your door has seen better days, replacing it will improve your curb appeal instantly (as much as $20,000 in perceived value according to some studies!).
• If you have furniture on your porch, upholster the cushions in new outdoor fabric. The latest versions are fantastic with prints similar to indoor furniture but with outdoor durability. Include pillows for comfort and color.
• Your porch light doesn’t need to be boring – in addition to what you need for security, install decorative lighting (even a small chandelier) for ambience.
• Flank your door with large, colorful pots that you can rotate with seasonal plants.
• Don’t forget the small things – even your house numbers, door knocker and kickplate combine to offer an impression of what’s to come inside.
Whether you are planning to sell your house or you are happily in your forever home, improving the entryway and front door design is sure to bring you compliments – and it’s an easy fix! If we can assist with reinventing your home’s exterior, please contact our San Diego design firm for a free consultation.