Hardwood flooring is one of the best options out there, and it’s tough to make a decent pros and cons list, because there just aren’t many cons. Unlike some of the new manmade flooring materials on the market, hardwoods have been proven by the test of time. There are homes that are more than a centuryÂ old with original hardwood flooring that still looks fabulous. Of course, they’ll need to be refinished now and then, but few flooring materials have the proven track record of natural wood.
- Hardwood floors are durable and easy to clean.
- They look beautiful, offering a warm and natural effect.
- They match homes of all ages and styles.
- Hardwood floors increase the value of a home.
- They’re particularly suitable for living rooms, dens, hallways, and stairs.
- Hardwoods can be noisy if they’re not sound insulated.
- They can be drafty and dusty if placed directly onto joists.
- Hardwood flooring does require periodic maintenance, and it can be scratched (think pet claws) and dented.
- Wood isn’t the best choice in rooms that are likely to get wet frequently, like a bathroom or foyer.
- Wood flooring and installation can be costly. Especially when compared to laminate or tile.