Surviving a Remodel
The best way to survive a remodel with no hassles is to hire someone else to take care of it and go away on vacation! Unfortunately this is not possible for all homeowners because they either want to be involved or it is not feasible with their job or lifestyle. Even if you cannot get away for a long extravagant vacation, planning to get away even to a friend or family members home is a smart choice. Plan your getaway when your home will be the messiest with dust and debris, or when your water will be turned off, etc. Your kitchen is by far the hardest space to live without, so preparation before the remodel is very important. Here are a few things to remember before the demolition of a home remodel takes place.
1. Make sure you pack up everything in your kitchen because there will be a lot of dust in the air. Don’t pack dish soap or dish towels
2. Set up a temporary kitchen outside of a bathroom or laundry room.
3. Have extra water around for when the water is turned off, which will be often.
4. Purchase paper plates, plastic forks, spoons, cups, etc. (pretend you are shopping for a camping trip).
5.Keep a stash of dry and canned foods- donâ€™t forget the can opener!
6. Set up a coffee station somewhere in your house, the master bathroom is always a nice spot if you have the counter space.
7.If you are not really into Barbequing then have a lot of take out menus handy. You can also purchase a hot plate to use for cooking too.
Make sure you know that problems always arise during a remodel, whether it is large or small. Do not be surprised if the electricians car breaks down and needs to reschedule, or if you’re new vanity gets damaged on its route to your house and ordering a new one is out of the questions since it was a one of a kind. Just realize that things do happen, and everything can be fixed if it is kept under control.
Some people like to manage their remodel on their own and keep tabs on all of their sub-contractors; others are too busy to deal these things. At Tracy Lynn Studio we are more than happy to help with all aspects of a remodel. We can manage the entire project for you and be there to make sure all the work is completed on time or we can help you make the right design choices and you can manage everything. We can also give you referrals to professionals in the industry for all aspects of your remodel. The possibilities are endless.
Most importantly, remember that you home is going to look spectacular when everything is finished and all the hard work will pay off in the end.